About the 2022–2023 Competition
This year marks the 98th anniversary of the Harlan Fiske Stone Moot Court, founded at Columbia Law School in 1925 by the Story Inn, a chapter of the legal fraternity Phi Delta Phi. The competition is named in honor of Harlan Fiske Stone 1898, who was a member of the Story Inn while a student at the Law School. Stone was named dean of Columbia Law School in 1910. He served in that capacity until 1924, when President Calvin Coolidge appointed him attorney general of the United States. He was named to the Supreme Court of the United States the following year and was elevated to chief justice in 1941.
- The deadline to sign up for the 2022-2023 competition is October 17, 2022.
- The initial briefs will be due on October 31, 2022.
- The qualifying round of oral arguments will be held from November 14 to November 17, 2022.
- The semi-final round of oral arguments will be held on February 8, 9, 13, and 14, 2023.
- The finals of this year’s competition will be Monday, March 27, 2023.
For more information about this year's competition, please visit the Students Directors' Blog.