- Honorary Doctor, Hebrew University Jerusalem, 2014
- Honorary Doctor of Law, King's College, London, 2009
- Honorary Doctor, Katholieke Universiteit, Brussels, Belgium, 1993
- D. Phil., University of Oxford, 1967
- Magister Juris, Hebrew University, 1963
Joseph Raz is the Thomas M. Macioce Professor of Law at Columbia Law School. He is a leading expert in the areas of legal, moral, and political philosophy.
He joined the Columbia Law School faculty in 2002. Currently, and from 2011 he is Research Professor (part time), King's College London. From 2006 to 2009, Raz served as a research professor at the University of Oxford. He was the British-Hispanic Professor at Complutensa University in Madrid in 2007. From 1985 to 2006, Raz was both a Professor of the Philosophy of Law at Oxford, as well as a fellow of Balliol College.
Raz’s numerous visiting professorships include Columbia Law School, Princeton University, Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, British-Hispanic Professor, Complutensa University, Madrid, USC, law school, King's College London, School of Law, Rockefeller University, the Australian National University, the University of California, Berkeley, the University of Toronto, Yale Law School, and the University of Southern California.
Raz has delivered countless lectures worldwide, including the Minerva Lecture on Human Rights at Tel Aviv University in 2006; the Plenary Lecture at the World Congress of the International Association for the Philosophy of Law and Social Philosophy held in Beijing in 2009; the Kellogg Lecture In Jurisprudence at the Library of Congress in 2011; the Quain Lectures at University College London in 2013; Keynote Lecture, NUSTP conference at Northwestern in 2015; Mala Kamm Lecture, given at NYU philosophy department October 2015; Julius Stone Address, University of Sydney, October 2016; Keynote Lecture: 25th annual meeting, European Society for Philosophy and Psychology, August 2017; Münster Lecture in Philosophy, December 2017; and Howison Lecture, Berkeley October 2018.
HONOURS AND PRIZES
1987 - fellow of the British Academy
1992- Foreign Honorary Member, The American Academy of Arts & Sciences.
1993: Honorary Doctor, Katholieke Universiteit, Brussel, Belgium
2005: International Prize for Legal Research ‘Hector Fix-Zamudio’, Universidad Nacional Autonoma de Mexico.
2009: Honorary Doctor of Laws, King's College London
2014: Honorary Doctor, The Hebrew University Jerusalem
2018: Tang Prize in Rule of Law
Raz obtained a Doctor of Philosophy from Oxford and a Magister Juris from Hebrew University.
- Legal, moral, and political philosophy
- From Normativity to Responsibility, Oxford University Press, 2011
- Between Authority and Interpretation, Oxford University Press, 2009
- The Practice of Value, Oxford University Press, 2003
- Value, Respect and Attachment, Cambridge University Press, 2001
- Engaging Reason, Oxford University Press, 2000
- Ethics in the Public Domain, Oxford University Press, 1995
- The Morality of Freedom, Oxford University Press, 1986
- The Authority of Law, Oxford University Press, 1979
- Practical Reason and Norms, Oxford University Press, 1975
- The Concept of a Legal System, Oxford University Press, 1970