Candidates applying on an Early Decision basis commit themselves to matriculate at Columbia if admitted.
For early decision candidates, the application process is simplified and expedited considerably; it is less expensive in terms of time, effort, and money. Early decision candidates must complete their applications by November 15 and are generally notified of the Admissions Committee’s decision. This early notification assures applicants of having successfully completed the law school application process, allowing them to resume professional, family, and educational responsibilities without any uncertainty. These benefits, however, are accompanied by the cost of self-restricting law school choice. Candidates applying on an Early Decision basis commit themselves to matriculate at Columbia if admitted.
Successful early decision candidates may not initiate any new law school applications, must decline any acceptances they may have received prior to admission to Columbia and the Early Decision Plan, and must immediately withdraw other applications once notified of their Columbia acceptance in December. Failure to honor these commitments will result in Columbia’s revoking its offer of admission.
Some early decision applicants not offered admission will be reviewed again in April as part of the regular applicant pool; others will be informed that their application for admission has been denied and will not be evaluated again that year.
You may prepare your application for the fall 2022 entering class by reviewing our Preview Application (PDF). The application fee is $85.
In addition to the application form, you may need to submit:
- Personal statement/essay
- GRE or LSAT scores
- Two letters of recommendation
- Dean’s appraisal(s)/certification(s)
- Early decision contract
- Academic transcripts
Read through our Frequently Asked Questions for clarification on application components.
2021–2022 Admissions Dates
- September 1: J.D. applications open
- October 1: Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) forms are available to submit to the government
- October: Last LSAT administration date that meets the Early Decision Plan deadline
- November 1: Last GRE administration date that meets the Early Decision Plan deadline
- November 15: Early decision plan application deadline
- February 15: Financial aid application deadline
- May 1: Enrollment deposit deadline
- May 10: Guaranteed housing application deadline
- June 1: Deferral request deadline