Click on the profile of any staff member below for more information, including bios and instructions on how to make an advising appointment. Most appointments are booked via Symplicity.
First-year students: get quick feedback on your materials for your 1L summer job in public interest or government work through our 1L Resume and Cover Letter Review.
Part-time 1L Advisors
The following practitioners (many of whom are Columbia Law School alumni) are regional and subject-matter experts who have offered to share their knowledge with Columbia students and alumni. They can be contacted directly for advice and information about their market, organization, and areas of legal expertise.
- Lisa Bornstein, Washington, DC, civil rights advocacy, litigation, and policy
- Candice Cho, New York City, local and state government, policy
- Janet Chung, Seattle, WA, women's rights, poverty law
- Jennifer Clarke, Philadelphia, PA, civil rights litigation, delivery of legal services, advocacy
- Laila Hlass, New Orleans, LA/Boston, MA, immigration law
- Laboni Hoq, Los Angeles, CA, civil rights, advocacy
- Mayra Joachin, Los Angeles, CA, immigration law
- Portland, OR, housing, poverty law
- Shana Khader, Dallas, TX, employment justice/workers rights
- Chicago, IL, government
- David Lyons, Boston, MA, environment, municipal government, private public interest law firms
- Liz Mackay, State of NJ, government
- Andrea McChristian, Newark, NJ, racial justice, civil rights, advocacy
- Michael Panfil, Washington, DC and other U.S. locations, clean energy, environmental law
- Atlanta, GA/New York, NY, politics, voting rights
- New York, NY, voting rights
- New York, NY, criminal defense
Rebecca Schleifer, Bogota, Colombia, health, international human rights
San Francisco Bay Area, CA, criminal law
Daniel Stewart, New York, NY, international human rights, public international law
The Social Justice Initiatives office is located in William and June Warren Hall ("Big Warren") at 1125 Amsterdam Avenue, on the 8th floor. Feel free to drop in between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Most counseling is done by appointment; if you are a student or alum looking to speak with an SJI counselor, please make an appointment as described above.
View an interactive map of the Morningside Campus
435 West 116th Street, Box B-26
New York, NY 10027