Charles Sabel is a professor of law and social science at Columbia Law School. Previously he was Ford International Professor of Social Science at MIT. His undergraduate degree is in social studies, and his graduate degree is in government, both from Harvard University. Earlier work focused on the crisis of mass production and its implications for the regulation of markets and the macro economy. More recent work develops pragmatist ideas into a general conception of democratic experimentalism, with particular attention to regulation, the provision of complex social services and contracting under uncertainty. Current projects include the elaboration of experimentalist or incremental solutions to apparently global problems such as trade and climate change; an investigation of the current transformation of U.S. administrative law in the face of uncertainty; and new models of economic development emerging with the spread of advanced techniques of “industrial” production to all sectors of the economy in the context of globalization.
- Experimentalist Strategies for Governing Global Climate Change with David Victor, under review by Princeton University Press. Forthcoming (2020).
- Ghezzi, Piero and Charles F. Sabel. “Rethinking Informality.” Forthcoming 2020.
- Rodrik, Dani and Charles F. Sabel. "Building a Good Jobs Economy." In Political Economy and Justice, edited by Danielle Allen, Yochai Benkler, and Rebecca Henderson. University of Chicago Press. Forthcoming 2020.
- Sabel, Charles F. and Rory O’Donnell and Larry O’Connell. “Self Organization under Deliberate Direction: Irish Dairy and the Possibilities of a New Climate Change Regime.” Under review by Regulation and Governance, 2019.
Recent Publications, 2018–2020
- Sabel, Charles F. “Preface.” In Enrichment: A Critique of Commodities, by Luc Boltanski and Arnaud Esquerre. Cambridge, UK; Medford, MA: Polity, 2020.
- Sabel, Charles F. “Sovereignty and Complex Interdependence: Some Surprising Indications of Their Compatibility.” Ideas that Matter: Democracy, Justice, Rights, edited by Annabelle Lever and Debra Satz, Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Morgan, Kevin and Charles F. Sabel. “The Experimentalist Polity.” Radical Visions of Future Government, edited by Tom Symons, NESTA, 2019, pp. 75–81.
- Hoekman, Bernard and Charles F. Sabel. “Open Plurilateral Agreements, International Regulatory Cooperation and the WTO.” RSCAS Working Papers 2019/10, European University Institute, 2019; Global Policy 10(3), 2019, pp. 297–312.
- Hoekman, Bernard and Charles F. Sabel. “In a World of Value Chains: What Space for Regulatory Coherence and Cooperation in Trade Agreements?” Megaregulation Contested: Global Economic Ordering After TPP, edited by Benedict Kingsbury, et al., Oxford University Press, 2019.
- Sabel, Charles F. and Gary Herrigel. “Collaborative Innovation in the Norwegian Oil and Gas Industry: Surprise or Sign of a New Economy-wide Paradigm?” Transformations in the Petroleum Innovation System: Lessons from Norway and Beyond, edited by Taran Thune, et al., Routledge, 2018.