Columbia Law School’s mentoring programs provide 1Ls with a strong support system throughout the year. Learn about Columbia Law School, faculty, classes, student organizations, applying for jobs, living in New York, and more from upper-class students.
If you have any questions about the programs, contact Jordan Carr, Student Services Coordinator.
First-Year Peer Mentor Program
The First-Year Peer Mentor program, sponsored by Student Services, is an easy way for 1Ls to meet 2Ls and 3Ls.
Working together, Student Services and peer mentors plan various outings and events throughout the year to help welcome first-year students, build strong student relationships, and create a more inclusive community.
Past events have included:
- Monthly coffee breaks for first-year students; their peer mentors; and their advisers from Student Services, the Office of Career Services, and Social Justice Initiatives.
- Small study breaks organized by peer mentor groups.
- Cultural outings to museums, movies, and shows through the Columbia University Arts Initiative.
- Trips to iconic New York City locations, such as Top of the Rock and the Intrepid.
- Parties at Chelsea Piers, Bowlmor Lanes, and Dave & Buster’s.
- Sporting events.
- Breakfast, lunches, and dinners with smaller Peer Mentor groups.
J.D./MBA Peer Mentor Program
Through the J.D./MBA Peer Mentor program, students finishing their dual degree in business and law at Columbia University connect with students who are just beginning the program.
- Commit to reaching out to mentees throughout the year to offer them support and guidance as they navigate the program.
- Host outings and social events each semester with mentees.
- Attend Student Services-sponsored J.D./MBA events during the academic year, such as the fall orientation lunch and the spring lunch.
The program is open to law students who are enrolled in both the three-year J.D./MBA program and the four-year program.
Transfer Student Peer Mentor Program
The Transfer and Visiting Student Organization (TVSO) runs a mentoring program for all incoming 2L Transfer and Visiting students. Contact TVSO to learn more.