A consistent visual style and voice can positively influence how people view Columbia Law School. Everything you say and do on behalf of the Law School is part of that living brand and conveys our story. Explore our guidelines for colors, logos, photography, and typography to help you maintain our brand identity.
Letterhead and Poster
- Use real people from our community.
Only use stock photography when completely necessary, to illustrate a concept.
- Be natural, casual, and spontaneous.
Images that are natural will resonate with our audience. Keep nighttime imagery to a minimum.
- Keep clutter out. If the space you are shooting seems complex, choose to focus on particular details of that space.
- Pay attention to the details. Keep an eye on what subjects are wearing or holding. Avoid shirts with logos and branded packaging (food or beverage containers).
- Stay current. Regularly refresh your unit’s photo collection to ensure your images are relevant and up-to-date.
- Images that are busy, too complicated, out of focus, low resolution, or too dark.
- Posed or unnatural images and stock photos.
- Heavy flash.
- Images that look or feel dated.