What is the Sexual Respect Initiative (SRI)?
The Sexual Respect Initiative is a University-wide initiative that affirms our community support to the commitment of communicating and acting with integrity and respect for others. The initiative sponsors lectures, film screenings, open forum discussions, workshops, and many more opportunities during the year.
All students are encouraged to participate annually in events, dialogs, and programs. First-year law students (JDs, LLMs, transfer students and visiting students) are required to participate in at least one initiative event or program during their first academic cycle at Columbia Law School. Details regarding the requirement and how to complete it are sent to students via email in late September.
Students who are particularly passionate about helping create a community of respect can volunteer to be a SRI Peer Facilitator. Peer Facilitators are trained to lead discussions, teach workshops, and lead the conversation at the law school surrounding what it means to be a young legal professional who practices respect in their community. If you are interested in joining the Peer Facilitator team, email [email protected].
When does the Initiative take place?
The Initiative begins September 24, 2018 and runs through October 28, 2018. We anticipate this to be no more than 20 hours throughout September and October. Please contact Alyssa Braver if you are interested in participating
How can I get involved beyond the first-year requirement?
All students are encouraged to participate in as many SRI experiences as desired during any term of attendance. Students who wish to take on leadership roles within the initiative should consider these options:
- Student Organizations/Journals event sponsorship
- Request a group-specific training/workshop/discussion. Groups can email Sexual Violence Response directly, or work with Alyssa Braver, SRI Peer Facilitator Coordinator, or Jeffrey Bagares with Student Services to select a workshop from either the Peer Facilitators, University Life, or the Sexual Violence Response Team.
- Vote to join the Law School Student Organization Sexual Respect Pledge
- Volunteer as a SRI Peer Facilitator
- If you would like to volunteer as an SRI Peer Facilitator, please click HERE
- Join a University SRI Opportunity
Learn more about the university-wide SRI initiative
Learn more about University Life