Financial Investigations Seminar
Department of Justice - Money Laundering and Asset Recovery Section
The Center for the Advancement of Public Integrity and the Department of Justice's Money Laundering and Asset Recovery Section co-hosted a three-day Financial Investigations Seminar from January 9th to 11th, 2018 for local, state, and federal government employees. Participants will learn from top-notch DOJ instructors how to "follow the money."
This training taught participants to apply investigative techniques and methods to unravel the case study’s money laundering scheme, to identify assets for forfeiture, and to make charging and forfeiture decisions. Using videos to illustrate the case study involving a drug enterprise, this practical, innovative, and interactive seminar is designed to introduce participants to financial investigations, money laundering, and asset forfeiture. During the seminar, participants will analyze financial documents to establish links among the targets, assets, and the illegal activities. Participants must be present for the entire three days.
The seminar was broken into the following modules:
- Introduction to Financial Investigation
- Starting a Financial Investigation
- Bank Secrecy Act Reporting Requirements
- Organizing a Financial Investigation
- Obtaining and Analyzing Bank Documents
- Money Laundering Statutes
- Identifying Assets for Forfeiture
- Evaluating and Seizing Assets
- Proving Unexplained Income
- Analyzing Tax Records
- Creating a Money Flow Chart
- Seizing and Freezing Foreign-Based Assets
- Anticipating Challenges to Forfeiture
- Money Laundering and Asset Forfeiture Charging Decisions
Cost: There is no enrollment cost for this seminar. Participant agencies and offices are responsible for all travel expenses and incidentals.
Who can attend: Current members of law enforcement at all levels of government. The program perfers participants with five years of experience or less in financial investigations, asset forfeiture, and money laundering. Please email us if you have any questions.
Where: 435 West 116th Street (Cross Street: Amsterdam Avenue), New York, NY 10027
Registration will begin at 8:30am on Tuesday, January 9, 2018 and class will start promptly at 9:00a.m. each day. Class is scheduled to end at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, January 11, 2018.