Housing Process

Explore housing options available to transfer students.

While our housing office makes every effort to accommodate transfer students, on-campus housing for transfer students cannot be guaranteed.

You may choose from the following options:

Columbia Residential manages on-campus housing facilities for students at all 13 graduate schools, as well as university faculty and staff.

Application Process

Columbia Residential Information and Policies 
Types of Student Accommodations

Applying for housing is free. However, a $750 reservation deposit is required to accept a housing offer, payable by credit or debit card only. This deposit is credited to your Student Financial Services account after move-in and goes toward the first semester’s housing charge.

J.D. students may request on-campus housing up to 60 days prior to the start date of their academic program. Students who maintain their academic residency are allowed to renew their housing agreement for the duration of their expected degree program as long as they remain eligible.

*All housing information and application information will be sent to your UNI email, please make sure to be monitoring your email account as self-selection dates and appointments are time-sensitive. For more information on the application process, please visit Columbia Residential Application Process and Housing Selection information here.

Before You Apply

  • You will need the PID provided you by the Office of Admissions (via email)
  • UNI (instructions on creating and activating your UNI are included in your letter of admission)
  • More information here.

Please note: You will need to deposit your seat to the Law School in order to apply for housing.

Track Progress of Your Application

After You Apply

  • Approved students will receive an email from Columbia Residential with instructions on how to participate in the self-selection process. You will be able to review a list of available units (including address, apartment number, and building amenities) and rank three choices. At the end of that day's selection rounds, you will receive one housing offer. (Note: Columbia Residential provides a 24-hour acceptance window. Immediately email Columbia Residential or Live Chat with them on their homepage.)
  • If you allow your assignment to expire or decline the offer, you will need to either seek housing on your own or reapply through the waitlist without a guarantee of housing. 

If you have any additional questions about housing options, the process, or just want to chat about student/family life at Columbia Law School, please feel free to email Adrienne Leon, Manager of Housing & Student Life, at [email protected].

Subletting On-Campus Units
If you are not sure you want to make a full-year commitment but are still interested in living on campus, you can sublet a university-managed space from an existing leaseholder. The Subletting Office is a division of the Columbia Residential office, located at 401 West 119th Street. You can email them at [email protected] or call them at 212-854-2773. Their website includes a full list of available units for subletting (set up an account with your UNI).

Columbia's Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office helps Columbia students and affiliates find rental housing in the metropolitan area. OCHA manages a database called the Housing Registry, which displays available rooms and apartments in non-Columbia-owned buildings and sublets of units in Columbia-managed housing. Prospective roommates can also connect with each other on this site.

Other Resources

  • OCHA has developed a cooperative relationship with two NYC real estate/relocation agencies, Corcoran and Douglas Elliman, to provide free counseling and reduced brokerage fees for Columbia affiliates. You will not incur any fees by participating in this free counseling service and are under no obligation to use these firms as your real estate agent.

    To request counseling, contact one of OCHA's cooperating real estate/relocation agencies or, if you prefer, you may contact OCHA for counseling. Please see more information here.

International House
500 Riverside Drive
(at 122nd Street)

Teachers College
517 West 121st Street
(between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue)

92Y Residence is available to students for periods of 30 days or longer.

92nd Street Y
1395 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10128