Entrance and Exit Counseling
The federal government requires students receiving federally funded aid to be informed about certain rights and responsibilities before disbursing federal loans, and again when students are about to enter loan repayment (when a student's enrollment status drops to less than half-time).
All first-time borrowers at Columbia Law School who are borrowing any type of federal loan (Direct Stafford, Direct Graduate PLUS) or Columbia University loan must complete the appropriate online data as follows:
Federal Direct Stafford and Graduate PLUS Loan Entrance Counseling
- All new students who are borrowing through the Federal Direct Loan Program must complete online Entrance Counseling for the Federal Direct Loan Programs (Federal Direct Stafford, Graduate PLUS) at the U.S. Department of Education Website.
- The Entrance Counseling explains your rights and responsibilities as a federal student loan borrower for these loan programs.
- Please note that your Direct Loan funds cannot be disbursed without the completion of the online Entrance Counseling.
Columbia University Loan Entrance Interview
- If you were awarded a Columbia University Loan, the instructions for completing the Entrance Interview for these loan programs are available on Columbia University's Student Services Online for you to submit to the university.
- The Entrance Interview can be completed online once you have activated your University Network ID (UNI).
- Please note that the university cannot disburse University Loan funds to your student account until your Entrance Interview is received.