Public Law Theory
Swati Jhaveri is an Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Law of the National University of Singapore (NUS). She teaches Constitutional & Administrative Law and the Law of Torts. At NUS she has been awarded the Faculty and University's Annual Teaching Excellence Awards for three consecutive years and was placed on the University Honour Roll for Teaching Excellence in 2018.
Her research areas are constitutional and administrative law, with a focus on the latter. She has published in these areas in Public Law, the Tort Law Review, Singapore Journal of Legal Studies, Asian Journal of Comparative Law, Federal Law Review and the International Journal of Constitutional Law. She also runs a widely read multi-author blog with Farrah Ahmed (Melbourne Law School) and Joe Tomlinson (Kings College London) on “Administrative Law in the Common Law World”.
She obtained her Bachelor of Arts in Jurisprudence (First Class Honours) and Bachelor of Civil Law (Distinction) from the University of Oxford and is currently a candidate for a DPhil in Law at Oxford. Her thesis looks at developing a positive theory of the executive branch as a constitutional actor / author.
She previously practiced law at Allen & Overy, specialising in international commercial arbitration. She is a Solicitor of the High Court of the Hong Kong SAR and England & Wales and is a Member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators. She previously taught at the Faculty of Law at the Chinese University of Hong Kong and was a Kathleen Fitzpatrick Visiting Fellow with the ARC Laureate Project in Comparative Constitutional Law at Melbourne Law School.
Doctor of Philosophy in Law, University of Oxford, 2018-
Bachelor of Civil Law, University of Oxford, 2006
Bachelor of Arts (Jurisprudence), University of Oxford, 2000
- Judicial Review of Administrative Action in the Common Law World: Legacies and Evolutions (Swati Jhaveri & Michael Ramsden, eds) (Cambridge University Press, 2019).
- "Reconstitutionalising Politics in the Hong Kong SAR of China" (2018) 13(1) Asian Journal of Comparative Law 27-57.
- "The Survival of Reasonableness Review: Confirming the Boundaries" (2018) 46(1) Federal Law Review 137-160.
- "Localising Administrative Law in Singapore: Embracing Inter-Branch Equality" (2017) 29 Singapore Academy of Law Journal 828-855.
- "Advancing Constitutional Justice in Singapore: Enhancing Access and Standing in Judicial Review Cases" (2017) Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 53-76.
- "Contrasting Responses to the 'Coughlan' Moment: Legitimate Expectations in Hong Kong and Singapore" in M Groves and G Weeks eds., Legitimate Expectations in the Common Law World (London: Hart Publishing, 2017) 267-292.
- "The doctrine of substantive legitimate expectations: the significance of Chiu [email protected] Pte Ltd v Singapore Land Authority ". (2016) 1 Public Law 1-9.
- "Executive and legislative reactions to judicial declarations of constitutional invalidity in Hong Kong: Engagement, acceptance or avoidance?" (2015) 13(2) International Journal of Constitutional Law 507-529 (with Anne Scully-Hill).
- "Judicial strategies in recognising new areas for recovery in negligence - lessons learned from wrongful conception cases" (2013) 21 Tort Law Review 63.
- "Transforming "fairness" as a ground of judicial review in Hong Kong" (2013) 11 International Journal of Constitutional Law 358-381.
- "Constructing a Framework for Assessing Public Authority Liability in Negligence: The Role of Public Law Norms, Private Law Norms and Policy Arguments" (2011) 18 Tort Law Review 1-15.
- "Judicialising Politics: A Role for the Courts in Political Reform in Hong Kong" (2011) Public Law 227-235.