- Corporate Law
- Comparative Corporate Governance
- Contract Law
- Comparative Law
Mariana Pargendler is a Visiting Professor of Law at Columbia Law School, Global Professor of Law at New York University’s Buenos Aires campus, and Professor of Law at Fundação Getulio Vargas (FGV) Law School in São Paulo, where she is also a director of the Center for Law, Economics, and Governance. She is also a Research Member of the European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI) and has taught as a Visiting Professor of Law at Yale, Stanford, and Penn law schools. Her scholarship examines problems in corporate law, corporate governance, and contract law from an economic and comparative perspective. She holds an LL.B., cum laude, and a PhD (Law) from the Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul (Brazil), as well LL.M. and J.S.D. degrees from Yale Law School. While at Yale, she was a research fellow at the Millstein Center for Corporate Governance and Performance at the Yale School of Management, as well as an Olin fellow at the Center for Studies in Law, Economics, and Public Policy at Yale Law School. Prior to joining academia, she was a corporate associate at the New York office of Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP.
- JSD, Yale Law School, 2011
- LL.M., Yale Law School, 2006
- LL.B., Universidade Federal do Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil, 2004
- “Corporate Governance in Emerging Markets,” in Oxford Handbook of Corporate Law and Governance (Jeffrey N. Gordon & Wolf-Georg Ringe eds., 2016).
- “Law and Economics in the Civil Law World: The Case of Brazilian Courts,” 90 Tul. L. Rev. (with Bruno Salama), 90 Tul. L. Rev. 430 (2015).
- “The Evolution of Shareholder Voting Rights: Separation of Ownership and Consumption” (with Henry Hansmann), 123 Yale L. J. 948 (2014).
- “Governing State Capitalism: The Case of Brazil,” in Chinese State Capitalism and Institutional Change: Domestic and Global Implications (Benjamin Liebman & Curtis J. Milhaupt eds., 2015).
- “Politics in the Origins: The Making of Corporate Law in Nineteenth-Century Brazil,” 60 Am. J. Comp. L. 805 (2012).
- “State Ownership and Corporate Governance,” 80 Fordham L. Rev. 2917 (2012).
- “Regulatory Dualism as a Development Strategy: Corporate Reform in Brazil, the U.S. and the EU” (with Ronald J. Gilson and Henry Hansmann), 63 Stan. L. Rev. 475 (2011).