Areas of Teaching and Research
- European constitutional and administrative law
- Comparative and international law
- Relationship between European law and politics
- Parliaments in times of globalization
- Internet law
- Public law
- Humboldt-University Berlin, Habilitation (Dr. jur. habil.) and associate professor (Privatdozent), 2005
- University of Munich, Dr. jur. (Ph.D./doctorate in law), 1999
- Second State Exam in Law, Berlin, 1997
- Yale Law School, LL.M., 1995
- IEP Paris (Sciences-Po), CEP, 1991
Franz C. Mayer holds the chair in Public Law, European Law, Public International Law, Comparative Law, and Law and Politics at the University of Bielefeld (Law Faculty). He studied law, political science, and history at the Universities of Bonn and Munich, the Institut d'Etudes Politiques de Paris (Sciences Po Paris), and at Yale Law School.
Mayer was a Senior Emile Noël Fellow, NYU School of Law 2011, was a visiting researcher at Harvard Law School in 2000, and has been an annual visiting lecturer at the University of Warsaw since 2000. He was also a visiting professor at Paris 1 (Panthéon-Sorbonne), Paris 2 (Panthéon-Assas), and the European University Institute.
Mayer's teaching and research interests focus on European constitutional and administrative law, on comparative law, on the relationship between European law and politics, on parliaments in times of globalization, on Internet law, as well as on international law and public law.
He served as counsel to the German Parliament in the Treaty of Lisbon trial at the German Constitutional Court in 2008–2009 and in the case on the Euro stabilization mechanism in 2010–2012. He has frequently testified as an expert witness in parliamentary hearings on constitutional law and EU law.
- Verfassungs- und europarechtliche Aspekte der Einführung von Eurobonds [Constitutional and EU law aspects of Eurobonds], Neue Juristische Wochenschrift [NJW] 2012, S. 422-427 (with Christian Heidfeld), also on http://verfassungsblog.de/eurobonds-episode-phantom-menace/ http://verfassungsblog.de/eurobonds-episode-vi-return-jedi-projektbonds/
- Europäische Menschenrechtskonvention. Kommentar [European Convention on Human Rights. A commentary], München: C.H. Beck 2012, 733 p., (ed., with Ulrich Karpenstein)
- "Volk und Volksvertreter" (Außenansicht), Süddeutsche Zeitung No. 67, 20 March 2012, p. 2
- Multilevel Constitutionalism and Constitutional Pluralism – querelle allemande or querelle d'Allemand?, in: Matej Avbelj und Jan Komárek (eds.): Constitutional Pluralism in the European Union and Beyond, Oxford: Hart Publishing 2012, p. 127–151 (with Mattias Wendel)
- Rashomon in Karlsruhe - A reflection on Democracy and Identity in the European Union. The German Constitutional Court’s Lisbon decision and the changing landscape of European constitutionalism, The Journal of International Constitutional Law [I-CON] 9 (2011), p. 757–785
- NYU Jean Monnet Working Paper 5/10 (2010)
- Europarechtliche Aspekte einer Finanztransaktionssteuer [EU law and a Financial Transaction Tax], Europäische Zeitschrift für Wirtschaftsrecht [EuZW] 2011, p. 373–378 (with Christian Heidfeld)
- L’identité constitutionnelle dans la jurisprudence constitutionnelle allemande, in: Laurence Burgorgue-Larsen (ed.): L’identité constitutionnelle saisie par les juges en Europe, Paris: Pedone 2011, p. 63–84
- Europäisches Verwaltungsrecht und nationales Verwaltungsrecht [EU administrative law and national constitutional law], in: Jörg Philipp Terhechte (ed.): Verwaltungsrecht in der Europäischen Union, Baden-Baden: Nomos 2011, p. 307–329
- Europäisches Internetverwaltungsrecht [EU Internet law], in: Jörg Philipp Terhechte (ed.): Verwaltungsrecht in der Europäischen Union, Baden-Baden: Nomos 2011, p. 931–958