Global Judicial Leadership Conference
Co-supported with the National Association of Woman Judges and Columbia University SIPA
June 10-11, 2019
The Global Leadership Conference is a two-day conference convening in New York City. Day One (Monday, June 10, 2019) event activities will be held at the United Nations. Day Two (Tuesday, June 11, 2019) will be held at Columbia Law School.
Full Details for Day 1, here: https://www.nawj.org/schedule/events-calendar/global-judicial-leadership...
Full Details for Day 2, here: https://www.nawj.org/schedule/events-calendar/global-judicial-leadership...
Register for the event via the NAWJ Website, here: https://nationalassociationwomenjudges.z2systems.com/np/clients/national...
Program/Schedule of Events: Tuesday, June 11, 2019
7:30 AM: CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST
8:30 AM: WELCOME REMARKS
- Dean Merit E. Janow, Columbia University School of International and Public Affairs
- Dean Gillian Lester, Lucy G. Moses Professor of Law, Columbia Law School
- Judge Tamila E. Ipema, President, National Association of Women Judges; Superior Court of California, County of San Diego
- Sally ("Salwa") Shatila Kader, Founder and President of the International Federation for Peace and Sustainable Development
- Judge Lisa S. Walsh, 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida; NAWJ Past President (2015-2016)
- Judge Myriam Lehr, 11th Judicial Circuit of Florida; NAWJ State Chair; Co-Chair, NAWJ 2012 Annual Conference
9:00 AM: IMMIGRATION AND US POLICIES AFFECTING IMMIGRANT WOMEN
- Michelle Brané, Senior Director, Migrant Rights and Justice Program, Women's Refugee Commission
- Judge Mimi Tsankov, Officer, National Association of Immigration Judges
- Katherine Franke, Sulzbacher Professor of Law, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Columbia Law School
- Judge Bernadette D'Souza, Orleans Parish Civil District Court; NAWJ President-Elect
10:00 AM: Break
10:30 AM: HUMAN TRAFFICKING: ORGAN TRAFFICKING AND SURROGACY ISSUES
- Hon. Elizabeth K. Lee, Superior Court of Califorina, County of San Mateo; Former Chair, NAWJ Human Trafficking Committee
- Yasmine Ergas, Director of the Specialization on Gender and Public Policy and Lecturer in Discipline in International and Public Affairs, Columbia University
- Chief Judge Anna Blackburne-Rigsby, District of Columbia Court of Appeals; NAWJ Past President (2013-2014)
12:00 PM: KEYNOTE LUNCHEON: Realizing Women’s Equal Citizenship: Ending Gender Discrimination in Nationality Laws and the Role of Judges in Advancing Equality
Speaker: Catherine Harrington, Associate Director, Global Campaign for Equal Nationality Rights, Women's Refugee Commission
1:30 PM: SEXUAL ASSAULT ON COLLEGE CAMPUSES: LESSONS LEARNED FOR THE JUDICIAL SYSTEM
- Suzanne Goldberg, Herbert and Doris Wechsler Clinical Professor of Law, Columbia Law School
- Judge Carolyn Temin, Court of Common Pleas (Retired), First Assistant District Atttorney, Philadelphia, PA; NAWJ Past President (2003-2004)
- Jordan Rosendorf, University of California, Berkeley
- Judge Lisa S. Walsh, 11th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida; NAWJ Past President (2015-2016)
2:30 PM: Break
3:00 PM: ELDER ABUSE
- Rawle Andrews, Regional Vice President, AARP
- Catherine A. Christian, Special Assistant District Attorney for External Affairs; Chief, Elder Abuse Unit, New York County District Attorney’s Office
- Beth R. Finkel, State Director, New York State Office, AARP
- Judge Myriam Lehr, 11th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida; Co-Chair, NAWJ 2012 Annual Conference
RSVP for this event using the NAWJ (National Association of Woman Judges) website, here: https://nationalassociationwomenjudges.z2systems.com/np/clients/national...