- Developing communication skills such as active listening, demonstrating empathy, asserting without offending, prioritizing interests, gathering and clarifying useful information.
- Identifying one's individual strengths and weaknesses in negotiation, and developing a plan to overcome obstacles to personal growth.
- Learning to manage stress (and other strong emotions) and to maintain composure in pressured settings.
- Understanding the psychology of persuasion and learning effective persuasion techniques.
- Learning to maintain an appropriate balance between preparation and improvisation.
- Exploring the challenges and opportunities presented in negotiations through digital media such as email.
- Learning to think about negotiation in new and helpful ways.