- Develop an understanding of the corporate law, securities law and other public law underpinnings of M&A transactions involving both private and publicly traded companies.
- Become familiar with the life-cycle of private and public M&A deals from conception to closing as well as with typical deal agreements such as confidentiality agreements, letters of intent, bid letters and purchase agreements.
- Understand the purpose and function of purchase price and stock and asset transfer provisions, representations, covenants, closing conditions, deal protection, indemnity and other contract provisions.
- Appreciate the role played by boards of directors, CEOs, CFOs, General Counsels, independent accountants, investment bankers and others in M&A transactions.
- Learn to think and act like a transactional lawyer in the real world, bringing legal knowledge, experience, judgment and skills to bear effectively and pragmatically in the context of clients' commercial and financial realities and objectives.
- Gain practical experience with structuring transactions, communicating advice to clients, drafting contracts and negotiating contracts and develop a framework for continuing to enhance these skills over the course of your legal career.