- Developing communication skills such as active listening, demonstrating empathy, asserting without offending, prioritizing interests, gathering and clarifying useful information, and creating and distributing value.
- Identifying one's individual strengths and weaknesses in negotiation, and developing a plan to overcome obstacles to personal growth.
- Learning to manage stress (and other strong emotions) and maintain composure in pressured settings such as dealing with difficult counterparts.
- Understanding the psychology of persuasion and developing facility in advanced persuasion techniques.
- Learning to maintain an appropriate balance between preparation and improvisation.
- Exploring the challenges and opportunities presented in e-mail and telephone negotiations.
- Learning to translate agreements in principle into writing.