Housing Information

Explore housing options available to transfer students.

While our housing office makes every effort to accommodate transfer students, on-campus housing for transfer students cannot be guaranteed.

You may choose from the following options:

Columbia Residential manages on-campus housing facilities for students at all of the university’s graduate schools.
Columbia Residential Information and Policies
Types of Student Accommodations

Applying for housing is free. However, a $1,000 reservation deposit is required to accept a housing offer, payable by credit or debit card only. This deposit is credited to your Student Financial Services account after move-in and goes toward the first semester's housing charge.

Accommodations are offered on a standard June 1 to May 31 housing agreement. J.D. students may request on-campus housing up to 60 days prior to the start date of their academic program. Students who maintain their academic residency are allowed to renew their housing agreement for the duration of their expected degree program as long as they remain eligible.

Before You Apply

  • You will need the PID provided to you by the Office of Admissions (via email)
  • Make sure the email address you provide is an active, non-expiring account that you check regularly. 

Submit your application

After You Apply

  • Sit back and relax; decisions and approvals will be made over the summer.
  • Approved students will receive an email from Columbia Residential with instructions on how to participate in the self-selection process. You will be able to review a list of available units (including address, apartment number, and building amenities) and rank three choices. At the end of that day's selection rounds, you will receive one housing offer. (Note: Columbia Residential provides a 24-hour acceptance window. Contact Columbia Residential directly if you need an extension.) 
  • If you allow your assignment to expire or decline the offer, you will need to either seek housing on your own or reapply through the waitlist without a guarantee of housing. 

If you have any additional questions about housing options, the process, or just want to chat about student/family life at Columbia Law School, email Adrienne Leon, Manager of Housing and Student Life, at [email protected].

Subletting On-Campus Units
If you are not sure you want to make a full-year commitment but are still interested in living on campus, you can sublet a university-managed space from an existing leaseholder. The Subletting Office is a division of the Columbia Residential office, located at 401 West 119th Street. Email them at [email protected] or call them at 212-854-2773. Their website includes a full list of available units for subletting (set up an account with your UNI).

Columbia's Off-Campus Housing Assistance (OCHA) office helps Columbia students and affiliates find rental housing in the metropolitan area. OCHA manages a database called the Housing Registry, which displays available rooms and apartments in non-Columbia-owned buildings and sublets of units in Columbia-managed housing. Prospective roommates can also connect with each other on this site.

Other Resources

International House
500 Riverside Drive
(at 122nd Street)

Teachers College
517 West 121st Street
(between Broadway and Amsterdam Avenue)

92Y Residence is available to students for periods of 30 days or longer.

92nd Street Y
1395 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10128