The Office of Career Services and Professional Development connects employers with J.D. and LL.M. students through a variety of interviewing and networking opportunities.
To sign up for any of these programs, log in to Symplicity and go to the “Interview Programs” tab, then follow the instructions provided there. Select the desired Session.
Fall On-Campus Interview Program
The Fall On-Campus Interview Program provides 3L students with an opportunity to interview with law firms, corporations, the government, and public interest organizations for postgraduate positions. Interviews will be held virtually from August to October.
The Early Interview Program is the primary J.D. interview program. Principally second-year students participate in this program, one of the largest single-school recruitment programs in the world. This multi-day event is an important step in securing summer and full-time employment in the private sector. Additional information about preparing for the program will be provided through the Early Interview Program Orientation, available on demand in the Fall.
Interviews are based on student preference—students have the choice to interview with employers that interest them. This past year, approximately 8,000 individual interview slots were available to students during EIP.
Spring On-Campus Interview Program
The Spring On-Campus Interview Program provides J.D. students with an opportunity to interview with law firms, corporations, the government, and public interest organizations for summer and postgraduate positions. Interviews will be held virtually in February.
As the primary interview program for LL.M. candidates, the program brings together leading global employers and students from seven of the top U.S. law schools. LL.M. students can interview for permanent and training postgraduate positions with U.S. and international law firms. Participating schools include the University of Chicago Law School, Columbia Law School, Harvard Law School, the University of Michigan Law School, Stanford Law School, the University of Virginia School of Law, and Yale Law School.
The LL.M. Interview Program will be hosted virtually on April 9, 2021. Orientation for the program occurs in January.
Interview Resources and Tips
- The Office of Career Services and Professional Development hosts Private Sector Practice Interview Programs for second-year students during the fall and for first-year law students during the spring and summer. Certain sessions are held in partnership with student organization sponsors.
- Attorneys conduct 20-minute mock interviews and provide feedback on student performance.
- The office also coordinates interviews with alumni and attorneys nationally and internationally.
- Online tutorials about conducting virtual interviews are available on demand to students through Courseworks.
- All 1Ls are required to attend one Private Sector Practice Interview in order to participate in the Early Interview Program. Additional details about how to participate will be provided closer to each program's confirmed date.
LinkedIn: LinkedIn User Guides
NALP: Working with a Mentor: 50 Practical Suggestions for Success
Associations: Bar Associations Membership and Mentoring
The Office of Career Services has established a partnership with The Wardrobe. CLS students in need of professional interview attire are invited to connect with The Wardrobe for a free virtual meeting with a personal stylist, who will help you pick out a high quality, pre-loved outfit. Interested students should complete this form to receive more information. Please note: clothing will take approximately two weeks to arrive, so please complete the form as soon as possible to book your appointment.