Student Organizations and Career Events
Student organizations at Columbia Law School provide invaluable support to their members and enhance the Law School community as a whole. Everyone in the Office of Career Services and Professional Development welcomes the opportunity to work with student groups on their career-related programs. The information below is provided to help us work effectively and efficiently together. Please take a moment to review and feel free to reach out to us with any questions.
OCS Curriculum and Related Programming
OCS offers a core curriculum of professional development programming to all JD and LLM students each year. Several of these programs are central to our work and are driven by several factors that impact student job searches and their overall success in the private sector (including market demands). We ask that you take note of these core programs and work with us to avoid duplication as much as possible. Our core curriculum includes:
• Self-assessments and workshops to evaluate individual preparedness for law practice
• Personal Narrative Development
- Personal presentation/ interviewing
- Preparing resumes and cover letters
- Communication seminar
- "Virtual you" workshops
• Creating and Nurturing Professional Relationships
- Alumni introductions/ mentor and sponsor matching
- Symposia, workshops, etc. with employers
- Advanced relationship building
• Successfully Navigating Summer Internships
• Nuts and Bolts of Recruiting (fall OCI, spring OCI, EIP)
- Resource review/navigation
- Law firm practice areas
- Legal market analysis
- Non-law firm private practice pathways
- Geographic specifics
• Clerkship Hiring Process and Preparation
• Preparing for Professional Life as a Service Provider
- How to be a standout associate from day one
- Rainmaking 101
Communication and Co-Sponsorship
Members of our office are available to discuss programming ideas with you and can also, as appropriate, co-sponsor your career-related events. We request that you fill out and submit the form found here as you plan career-related events to which firms and other private sector employers are invited.
In our role as co-sponsors we can:
- Brainstorm topics and speakers with you
- Introduce your representatives to appropriate speakers/ alums
- Provide historical and current information on events/speakers/employer developments
- Suggest other student groups with which to partner
- Prepare speakers for events by, for example: crafting and distributing topics/questions in advance; hosting conference calls to discuss program goals, etc.; obtaining permission from speakers to record their voice/image; and securing and editing speaker bios
- Advertise the event through email invitations and on appropriate OCS calendars
- Arrange for recording events (audio/video) and where appropriate, house recording on the OCS website
- Serve as moderators/facilitators/panelists
Other General Information to Note
• We advise that speakers and program logistics be finalized at least one week prior to the event.
• Events co-sponsored by OCS must be open to all CLS students (necessary exceptions should be discussed).
• The best programs are those that include a diverse range of participants - women, attorneys of color, members of the LGBTQIA community, practitioners from various geographic locations, practice settings and organizations of various sizes - who can provide a variety or experiences, viewpoints and perspectives.
• Through the Partners in Residence (PIR) program, alumni who are current and former practicing attorneys meet individually with students who are interested in seeking career advice. When organizing events with alumni, feel free to inquire about whether that alumnus is interested in serving as a PIR. OCS can then integrate those alums into the program.
• Please refer to the OCS calendar before scheduling your events. Calendars are generally sent to student organization leaders prior to the start of each semester.
If you would like to meet with us or have questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We look forward to working with you!