Official transcripts may be ordered only from the University’s Office of the Registrar.
Visit Columbia University, Office of the Registrar to order your transcripts online. You may request multiple copies of your transcript, which can be sent to multiple addresses. In-person requests may be made at the counter service area in 205 Kent Hall. You may also make your request by mail. More detailed information is available at the Office of the Registrar website.
An enrollment/academic certification is an official document provided by the University Registrar verifying dates of attendance, award of degree, and student status (full-time or part-time) by term. It is typically requested for health insurance, visa, employment and credit verification purposes. There is no fee for this service. Please visit the Academic Certification section of the University Registrar website for more information.
Employers and insurers who wish to verify enrollment or degree completion of a student/alumnus should follow the instructions on the Employers and Insurers section of the University Registrar website.
The university uses the term withdraw to formally indicate that a student has dropped or will drop all courses for a given term. Withdrawing from the university differs from dropping one or several classes within a given semester, because as long as a student retains at least one class, he or she is still considered to be registered for that semester.
Students who withdraw from Columbia Law School after the start of a given semester may be entitled to some pro-rated refund of tuition according to the following schedule:
Fall and Spring Semesters
- Week 1 & Week 2: 100% tuition and fees (except document fee) refunded
- Week 3: 90% tuition refunded, no fees refunded
- Week 4: 80% tuition refunded, no fees refunded
- Week 5: 70% tuition refunded, no fees refunded
- Week 6: 60% tuition refunded, no fees refunded
- Week 7: 50% tuition refunded, no fees refunded
- Week 8: 40% tuition refunded, no fees refunded
- Week 1 is defined by the start of classes, according to students’ class standing:
- Incoming 1Ls – week 1 coincides with the start of Legal Methods I (LAW L6113)
- Incoming LLMs – week 1 coincides with the start of Introduction to American Law (LAW L6560)
- Continuing & Incoming Transfer students– week 1 coincides with the start of classes on the Tuesday after Labor Day.
- Week 1 is defined by the start of classes, according to students’ registration schedule:
- Continuing 1Ls - week 1 coincides with the start of Legal Method II (LAW 6130)
- Upper-year 2Ls, 3Ls, & LL.M.s - week 1 coincides with the start of January upper-year electives, if applicable, or with the start of classes on the Tuesday after Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
All students who withdraw will be charged a $75 withdrawal fee.