Some students will be notified on their SAR that the information they submitted on their FAFSA needs to be verified. Selection for this verification process is made by the federal processor. The verification process must be completed before we will certify federal loan applications.
Students using FAFSA on the Web who have already submitted their 2021 federal tax return are able to electronically retrieve their tax data from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- The preferred method of providing the required tax information is by using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) on the federal website when completing the FAFSA.
- Even after a FAFSA has been processed, students can return to the federal website at a later date to update tax information through the IRS DRT option.
- Students that do not use the IRS DRT option on the FAFSA are required to submit to the Financial Aid Office a 2021 federal tax transcript obtained from the IRS.
The federal verification process also requires that students complete a 2023-2024 Verification Worksheet.
- If you are selected for federal verification, we will send the appropriate worksheet for you to complete and return to our office.
- Additional forms or documents may need to be submitted to the Financial Aid Office to satisfy federal regulations, including but not limited to, confirmation of citizenship status.