Sexual Repsect Initiative
What is the Sexual Respect Initiative (SRI)?
The Sexual Repsect Initiative is a University-wide initiative that affirms our community support to the commitiment of communicating and acting with integrity and respect for others. The initiative sponsors lectures, film screenings, open forum discussions, workshops, and many more opportunities during the year.
All students are encouraged to participate annually in events, dialogs, and programs. First-year law students (JDs, LLMs, transfer students and visiting students) are required to participate in at least one initiative event or program between October and March of their first academic cycle at Columbia Law School. Details regarding the requirement and how to complete it are sent to students via email in late September.
Students who are particularly passionate about helping create a community of respect can volunteer to be a SRI Peer Facilitator. Peer Facilitators are trained to lead discussions, teach workshops, and lead the conversation at the law school surrounding what it means to be a young legal professional who practices respect in their community. If you are interested in joining the Peer Facilitator team, email email@example.com.
When does the Initiative take place?
The Initiative begins September 19th, 2016 and runs through October 30, 2016. Additional and supporting events are held at the Law School through the end of February. First-year students must report their participation by March 3, 2017.
How can I get invovled beyond the first-year requirement?
All students are encouraged to participate in as many SRI experiences as desired during any term of attendance. Students who wish to take on leadership roles within the initiative should consider these options:
- Student Organizations/Journals event sponsorship
- Request a group specific training/workshop/discussion. Groups can email Sexual Violence Response directly, or work with Juliana Utley, Associate Director of Student Services, to select a workshop from either the Peer Facilitators, University Life, or the Sexual Violence Response Team.
- Vote to join the Law School Student Organization Sexual Repsect Pledge
- Volunteer as a SRI Peer Facilitator
- Join a University SRI Opportunity
Learn more about the university-wide SRI initiative
Learn more about University Life