Using Coursewebs Take Home Exam Module
The Take Home Exam Module (THEM) enables students to retrieve a take home exam and submit the answer file online through the Columbia Law School Coursewebs system.
Step 1: Check your access to Coursewebs
At least one business day before you are ready to take your exam, log into Coursewebs and ensure you can access the courseweb for the relevant class.
- Use the course-specific URL that you were provided in advance of the exam.
- To log in to Coursewebs, use your CLS network account—the same username and password that you use to log in to the computer labs and LawNet. After you log in, you will be taken to a menu of courses for which you are registered.
- If you are unable to access the relevant site, please contact the IT Helpdesk immediately.
Step 2: Download a PDF copy of your exam
When you are ready to take the exam, follow the instructions above to access the course-specific Coursewebs site.
Once you have reached the Coursewebs site for your class, you will see a link labeled "Download Exam"' on the left side of the page. This link will be activated when the exam is made available. Click on the link and follow the online instructions to retrieve your copy of the exam.
Step 3: Write your exam answers
The professor's individual exam instructions will be included within the exam itself. Please note the following additional instructions applying to all online take-home exams.
- You should prepare your exam answers in electronic format, using the word processing software (Microsoft Word, Apple Pages, etc.) of your choice. Do not use Google Docs.
- You should ensure that your name does NOT appear anywhere on the document -- either in the text, or in the document properties.Identify your exam only by your exam number.
- The document header must include your exam identification number. See screen shot below for location of your exam number:
Step 4: Create a PDF version of your answers
Before submitting your exam answer, you must convert it into PDF format.
If you are uncertain how to create PDF files, contact the IT Helpdesk immediately.
In the meantime, you may find the following tutorials helpful:
Step 5: Submit your PDF exam answer file
Return to the Coursewebs site for the class, click on the link labeled "Submit Exam"' on the left side of the page and follow the online instructions:
Please make sure ONLY YOUR EXAM ID (NOT YOUR NAME) is included in the PDF file you are submitting. Your exam ID is located directly below the Choose file icon. The answer file you submit is the answer file your professor will see.
Once you successfully submit your exam, you will see the following pop-up message. You will also receive an email confirmation.
Step 6: IT Support
If you encounter any difficulty with downloading the exam or uploading your exam answer, please contact the IT helpdesk at email@example.com.
You are encouraged to time your exam to start and finish during business hours (9 am-5 pm), to ensure that you have access to swift IT support.