Future of Finance Colloquium
Friday, April 25, 2014
8:00AM - 12:15PM
Weil, Gotshal & Manges
767 Fifth Ave. - New York City
8:00AM–9:00AM BREAKFAST AND KEYNOTE SPEECH
- Richard W. Edelman, President & CEO, Edelman
9:00AM–10:00AM PANEL I: FINANCIAL INDUSTRY UNDER SIEGE
TOPICS: This panel will address recent surveys on the financial industry standing; the impacts, if any, of lack of trust in financial services; and possible cures for low trust, including industry self-correction; stronger regulation; stronger enforcement, fiduciary capitalism (more ethical, fair, transparent behavior
MODERATOR: Ira M. Millstein, Co-Chair, Millstein Center; Senior Partner, Weil, Gotshal & Manges LLP
- Robert L.D. Colby, Chief Legal Officer, Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Cynthia M. Fornelli, Executive Director, Center for Audit Quality (CAQ)
- Scott Powers, President & CEO, State Street Global Advisors (SSgA)
10:00AM-11:00AM PANEL II: WHAT IS THE INDUSTRY GOING TO LOOK LIKE?
TOPICS: This panel will explore changes to client services and fees; culture and tone at the top; financial engineering and innovation; institutional vs. retail investor needs
MODERATOR: Robert J. Jackson, Jr., Associate Professor and Milton Handler Fellow, Columbia Law School; Co-Director, Millstein Center
- Anthony Horan, Corporate Secretary, JP Morgan Chase & Co.
- Jonathan R. Macey, Sam Harris Professor of Corporate Law, Corporate Finance and Securities Law at Yale University and Professor in the Yale School of Management; Economics Advisory Board, Financial Industry Regulatory Association (FINRA); Fmr. Legal Advisory Committee to the Board of Directors of NYSE
- Steve McMenamin, Executive Director, Greenwich Roundtable
11:00AM–11:15AM COFFEE BREAK
11:15AM–12:15PM PANEL III: WHAT IS INDUSTRY SUPERVISION GOING TO LOOK LIKE?
TOPICS: The panel will examine systemic changes; enforcement changes; full implementation of DFA or other regulation; and preventing the next bubble.
MODERATOR: Harvey Goldschmid, Dwight Professor of Law, Columbia Law School; Former Commissioner, Securities & Exchange Commission
- Richard C. Breeden, Chairman and CEO of Breeden Capital Management LLC; Fmr. Chairman, Securities and Exchange Commission
- Ricardo Delfin, Executive Director to the Chairman & Special Advisor, Systemic Risk Council
- Kristen Jaconi, Director, Promontory Financial Group; Fmr. Senior Policy Adviser to the Undersecretary for Domestic Finance, Department of the Treasury
Please note that all panel discussions will be held under Chatham House Rule.
For more information on the "Future of Finance" series, please click here.