Human Rights Institute
The Human Rights Institute serves as the focal point of international human rights education, scholarship and practice at Columbia Law School. The Institute currently focuses on a number of key themes, and, throughout the year, hosts a wide array of symposia, lectures, and other events to bring practitioners and scholars together.
- HRI's JoAnn Kamuf Ward discusses new bilateral effort to support municipal efforts to protect human rights of migrants on the southern border of Mexico.
- Human Rights Clinic joins 18 other civil society organisations from around the world to raise concerns about US-led drones export initiative.
- Human Rights Institute launches Human Rights and Racial Justice Series 2017-18.
- Human Rights Clinic joins 66 other civil society organizations calling for an independent international inquiry into the war in Yemen.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Institute seeks new Managing Director.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Institute invites candidates for the position of Legal Fellow for the Institute’s human rights in the U.S. work.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights and Clinic provide training Forensics in Human Rights Fact-Finding.
- Professor Sarah Knuckey and Human Rights Institute Seek Research Assistants.
- Faculty co-director Sarah Knuckey publishes new article in International Journal of Mental Health on the mental health of human rights advocates.
- Faculty co-director Sarah Knuckey and alumna Anjli Parrin '17 on need for peacekeeping reinforcements in Central African Republic, not budget cuts.
- Applications are now being accepted for a legal fellow position with the Human Rights in the U.S. Project.
- Faculty co-director Sarah Knuckey discusses critical flaw in U.S. air strike investigation methodology in her recent blog post on Just Security.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Institute symposium explores strategies for state and local implementation of human rights in the United States.
- Faculty co-director and UN Human Rights Committee Member Sarah Cleveland discusses the need to strengthen democracy and human rights in Venezuela with U.S. Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley and panel of experts on human rights in the Americas.
- The Institute's JoAnn Kamuf Ward, director of the Human Rights in the U.S. Project, is quoted in Vice on the value of using the IACHR as a tool for accountability.
- Human Rights Clinic alumna María Emilia Mamberti LL.M. ’17 discusses the challenges and opportunities the new Special Rapporteur on Economic, Social, Cultural and Environmental Rights will create.
- JoAnn Kamuf Ward, director of the Human Rights in the U.S. Project, and Benjamin Hoffman, senior clinical teaching fellow call on Ben & Jerry’s to stop abuses in its supply chain.
- Apply now for the Columbia Law School Human Rights Institute 1L Advocates Program.
- Columbia Law School Human Rights Clinic and over a dozen human rights organizations call on Ben & Jerry’s to join “Milk with Dignity Program” to eliminate human rights abuses in the company’s supply chain.
- The Institute's Rahma Hussein talks to KPFA about transparecny, accountability, and U.S. drone strikes.
- HRI's Alex Moorehead discusses findings from recent report on U.S. drone strikes on The Takeaway.
- The Institute's Alex Moorehead is quoted in The Intercept in a story on U.S. drone strikes.
- Human Rights Institute announces the 2017 awardees of the ‘Commendation for Leadership and Commitment in Human Rights.’
- Urgent need for transparency and accountability say Human Rights Clinic and Sana'a Center for Strategic Studies in new report.
More News and Features