- Ph.D., Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2001
- J.D., Yale Law School, 2001
- B.A., Pomona College, 1994
Albert Choi is a Professor of Law at the University of Virginia School of Law. His research and teaching interests include law and economics, contract theory, corporate law, and corporate finance and organization.
Choi earned his J.D. from Yale Law School in May 2001 and his Ph.D. in economics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in September of that year. While at Yale, he was an Olin Fellow in Law and Economics and earned John M. Olin Research Fellowships in the summers of 2000 and 2001. At MIT, Choi was a National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow.
Choi was a Visiting Professor at Yale Law School from 2008 to 2009 and he served as the Austin Wakeman Scott Visiting Professor at Harvard Law School from 2009 to 2010. Choi was a director on the American Law and Economics Association’s board from 2011 to 2014, and he currently serves as an associate editor of the American Law and Economics Review and of the International Review of Law and Economics.
- Contract Law
- Corporate Finance
- Corporate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Corporate Tax
- “Non-Profit Status and Relational Sanctions: Commitment to Quality through Repeat Interactions and Organizational Status” in the Journal of Law and Economics, forthcoming.
- “Contract’s Role in Relational Contract” (with Scott Baker) in the Virginia Law Review, 2015.
- “Should Consumers Be Permitted to Waive Products Liability? Product Safety, Private Contracts, and Adverse Selection” (with Kathy Spier) in the Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 2014.
- “Market Conditions and Contract Design: Variations in Debt Contracting” (with George Triantis) in the New York University Law Review, 2013.
- “The Effect of Bargaining Power on Contract Design” (with George Triantis) in the Virginia Law Review, 2012.
- “Strategic Vagueness in Contract Design: The Case of Corporate Acquisitions” (with George Triantis) in the Yale Law Journal, 2010.
- “A Rent Extraction Theory of Right of First Refusal” in the Journal of Industrial Economics, 2009.
- “Completing Contracts in the Shadow of Costly Verification” (with George Triantis) in the Journal of Legal Studies, 2008.
- “Optimal Agency Contracts: The Effect of Vicarious Liability and Judicial Error” (with Juan Carlos Bisso) in International Review of Law and Economics, 2008.
- “A Critique of the Odious Debt Doctrine” (with Eric Posner) in Law and Contemporary Problems, 2007.
- “Successor Liability and Asymmetric Information” in the American Law and Economics Review, 2007.
- “Should Plaintiffs Win What Defendants Lose? Litigation Stakes, Litigation Effort, and the Benefits of Decoupling” (with Chris Sanchirico) in the Journal of Legal Studies, 2004.
- “Golden Parachute as a Compensation Shifting Mechanism” in the Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 2004.
- “Allocating Settlement Authority under a Contingent Fee Arrangement” in the Journal of Legal Studies, 2003.