Trisha L. Smith
Lecturer in Law
Law Office of Trisha L. Smith
303 East 76th Street #3
New York NY 10021
Trisha Smith is a counsel in the Real Estate Practice Group and co-heads the Firm's environmental practice. Ms. Smith advises clients on a variety of environmental issues, including brownfields redevelopment and coordinating complex environmental and construction issues for landmark development projects such as sports complexes, airports and mass transit redevelopment projects. She also represents potentially responsible parties at state and federal remediation sites, including CERCLA Superfund cleanups and related PRP group activities.
Ms. Smith also helps clients manage environmental risks in corporate and real estate transactions, mergers and acquisitions, structured financing and financial services, public offerings and securitization. She works with manufacturing clients in the development and implementation of corporate environmental management and safety policies and procedures, compliance programs and audits. Ms. Smith represents clients before federal, state and local regulatory agencies on a variety of administrative matters, including enforcement, permitting, hazardous waste base and surcharge fees, natural resource damage claims, wetland restoration and bulkhead rehabilitation.
Ms. Smith teaches "The Legal Skills Workshop I & II" to first-year law students at Columbia University School of Law since 1998. She has practiced environmental law in the New York area since 1997.
Ms. Smith serves as pro bono counsel to the Roberto Clemente Foundation and has worked with the Foundation, the City of New York, Major League Baseball, Little League International and the New York Yankees and the New York Mets to host Tee-Ball at Gracie Mansnion each year for children ages five to seven.
Prior to joining the Firm, Ms. Smith was counsel at Nixon Peabody LLP.Events / Speeches
Professional / Civic Affiliations
- Speaker, "Transactions and the Environment: Contaminated Property Issues in Real Estate and Corporate Matters," New York State Bar Association, Environmental Law Section, New York, NY (Spring 2006)
- "The New Environment for Lenders," Federal Reserve Bank, New York, NY (April 2004)
- Faculty Presenter, "The Science of Environmental Law," University of Arkansas School of Law, Little Rock, AK (March 2001)
- New York State Bar Association
- Environmental Law Section (Member)
- Committee on Environmental Issues in Business Transactions (Member)
- Herriott Foundation's Kidstix Program (Founder and Chair)
- Roberto Clemente Foundation (Pro Bono Counsel)
- Adjunct Professor, Columbia University School of Law