James S. Carpentier Visiting Professor of Law (Spring 2012)
- Indiana University, B.A., 2000, summa cum laude (Religious Studies)
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2004
- Federal Income Tax
- International Tax
- Statutory Interpretation
Rebecca Kysar teaches and researches in the areas of federal income tax, international tax, legislation, and statutory interpretation. Her recent scholarship examines tax treaties, as well as the tax legislative process. Her articles have appeared in the Cornell Law Review
and the University of Pennsylvania Law Review
. She has presented her scholarship at various forums, including the Columbia Tax Policy Colloquium, the Northwestern University School of Law Colloquium on Advanced Topics in Taxation, the NYU Tax Policy Colloquium, and the UCLA Tax Policy and Public Finance Colloquium.
Prior to joining Brooklyn Law School in 2008, Professor Kysar practiced at Cravath, Swaine & Moore, where she was responsible for the tax aspects of complex domestic and international transactions. She also served as a law clerk to Judge Richard Cardamone of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. In law school, she was a senior editor of the Yale Law Journal
and a Coker Teaching Fellow. Law Review Publications and Works in Progress
- Interpreting Tax Treaties (work in progress).
- On the Constitutionality of Tax Treaties (work in progress).
- Lasting Legislation, 159 U. PENN. L. REV 1007 (2011).
- Listening to Congress: Earmark Rules and Statutory Interpretation, 94 CORNELL L. REV. 519 (2009).
- The Sun Also Rises: The Political Economy of Sunset Provisions in the Tax Code, 40 GA. L. REV. 335 (2006).
- Penalty Default Interpretive Canons, 76 BROOK. L. REV 1007 (2011) (solicited symposium piece).
- Resurrecting a Lasting, Not Temporary, Tax Code, BROOKLYN LAW SCHOOL LAW NOTES (2011).
- Ending the Endogeneity of Earmark Rules, LEGAL WORKSHOP (May 21, 2009).
- Transition Rules and Statutory Interpretation, TAXPROF BLOG (April 28, 2009).
- Tiered CFCs and Inbound Exchanges, 116 TAX NOTES 1145 (Sept. 24, 2007).