(Fall 2012 - Spring 2013)
435 West 116th Street
Jerome Greene Hall, Room 919
New York NY 10027
- Brown University, B.A., 1989 (Economics and History)
- Harvard University, Graduate School of Business Administration, M.B.A., 1993
- Fulbright Scholar to India, 1994
- Harvard University, Ph.D., 1998 (Political Economy)
Mihir A. Desai is the Mizuho Financial Group Professor of Finance, Senior Associate Dean for Planning and University Affairs, and the Chair of Doctoral Programs at Harvard Business School. He received his Ph.D. in political economy from Harvard University; his MBA as a Baker Scholar from Harvard Business School; and a bachelors degree in history and economics from Brown University. In 1994, he was a Fulbright Scholar to India.
Professor Desai's areas of expertise include tax policy, international finance and corporate finance. His academic publications have appeared in leading economics, finance and public economics journals. His work has emphasized the appropriate design of tax policy in a globalized setting, the links between corporate governance and taxation, and the internal capital markets of multinational firms. His research has been cited in The Economist
, The New York Times
, and several other publications. He is also the author of International Finance: A Casebook
(New York: John Wiley & Sons, 2006) which features his many case studies on international corporate finance.
He is a Research Associate in the National Bureau of Economic Research's Public Economics and Corporate Finance Programs, and is the co-director of the NBER's India program. He is also on the Advisory Board of the International Tax Policy Forum.
Professor Desai teaches a second-year elective on International Financial Management and he co-teaches Public Economics (EC 1410) at Harvard College. He received the Student Association Award for teaching excellence from the HBS Class of 2001. His professional experiences include working at CS First Boston, McKinsey & Co., and advising a number of firms and governmental organizations. Publications
- “Investable Tax Credits: The Case of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit” with D. Dharmapala and M. Singhal, National Tax Journal, forthcoming.
- “Institutional Tax Clienteles and Payout Policy,” with L. Jin, Journal of Financial Economics, April 2011, 100(1): 68-84.
- “Dividend Taxes and International Portfolio Choice,” with D. Dharmapala, Review of Economics and Statistics, February 2011, 93(1): 266-284.