International Visiting Professor of Law (Spring 2013)
Jerome Greene Hall, Room 736
435 W. 116th St.
New York NY 10027
Areas of Teaching and Research
- European Union law
- World Trade Organization law
- Environmental law
- European University Institute, LL.M., International, European, and Comparative Law, 1989
- University of Aberdeen, LL.B., Law (Honors), 1987
Joanne Scott was appointed Professor of European Law at the Faculty of Laws, University College London in 2005, having previously been a reader in the Faculty of Law at the University of Cambridge. Her main areas of expertise are European Union law and WTO law. She has published extensively on law and new modes of governance, environmental law and policy, and on the intersections between different sub-national, national, and international legal orders.
She was recently awarded a Leverhulme Trust Major Research Fellowship for her research on the global reach of EU climate change law (2012-2014). She was a member of the UCL/Lancet Commission on Managing the Health Effects of Climate Change and of the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution (2009-2011).
In addition to Columbia Law School, she has been a visiting professor at Harvard Law School and was a Jean Monnet Fellow at the European University Institute in Florence. She was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh in 2012.
Scott is a member of the editorial boards of: International and Comparative Law Quarterly
, Journal of Environmental Law
, Journal of International Economic Law,
and Transnational Environmental Law
- Commentary on the Sanitary and Phytosanitary Measures Agreement Oxford, OUP (2007)
- EC Environmental Law Longmans, USA (1998)
- Development Dilemmas in the European Community: Rethinking Regional Development Policy England, Open University Press (1995)
- “EU Climate Change Unilateralism” European Journal of International Law 23 469-494 (with Lavanya Rajamani) (2012)
- “In Legal Limbo: Post-Legislative Guidance as a Challenge for European Administrative Law” Common Market Law Review 48 329-355 (2011_
- “From Brussels with Love: The Transatlantic Travels of European Law and the Chemistry of Regulatory Attraction” American Journal of Comparative Law 57 897-942 (2009)
- “The Hidden World of WTO Governance” European Journal of International Law 20 575-614 (with Andrew Lang) (2009)
- “Courts as Catalysts: Rethinking the Judicial Role in New Governance” Columbia Journal of European Law, 13 565-594 (with Susan Sturm) (2007)
- “International Trade and Environmental Governance: Relating Rules and Standards in the EU and the WTO” European Journal of International Law 15 307-354 (2004)
- “Mind the Gap: Law and New Approaches to Governance in the European Union” European Law Journal 8 1-18 (with D.M. Trubek) (2002)