International Visiting Professor of Law (Spring 2013)
Jerome Greene Hall, Room 926
435 W. 116th St.
New York NY 10027
Areas of Teaching and Research
- International law
- International human rights
- International environmental law
- Cultural heritage law
- European Union law and international law
- University of Florence, J.D., 1966
- Harvard Law School, LL.M., 1968
Francesco Francioni is professor emeritus of international law and human rights and co-director of the Academy of European Law (AEL) at the European University Institute (EUI) Department of Law in Florence, Italy. He currently holds a part-time professorship at LUISS University in Rome.
Prior to moving to the European University Institute, Francioni was the director of the International Peace Studies Center and Jean Monnet Chair in European Law at the Faculty of Law, University of Siena. He has also been a visiting professor at many institutions, including Oxford University, Cornell University and the University of Texas School of Law.
In the past, Francioni has been president of the World Heritage Committee of the UNESCO and the Italian Society of International Law, among other organizations.
He has represented Italy in many international negotiations and diplomatic conferences, especially in the field of international environmental law and cultural heritage law. He is a member (associate) of the Institut de droit international, a member of Editorial Board of the European Journal of International Law,and general editor of the Italian Yearbook of International Law.
He has published extensively in the field of public international law. His newest book, Enforcing International Cultural Heritage Law
(with J. Gordley), Oxford University Press, 2013, examines the different ways that cultural heritage property can be protected, including protection at the international level, enforcement in domestic courts, and the role of alternative dispute resolution mechanisms.
- War by Contract: Human Rights, Humanitarian Law and Private Contractors, F. Francioni and N. Ronzitti (eds), Oxford University Press, 2011
- Human Rights in International Investment Law and Arbitration, with P.M.Dupuy, F. Francioni and U. Petersmann (eds), Oxford University Press, 2009
- Accesso alla giustizia dell'individuo nel diritto internazionale e dell'Unione Europea, Milano 2008
- The 1972 World Heritage Convention. A Commentary, Oxford, 2008
- Cultural Human Rights, Leiden-Boston, 2008
- Access to Justice as a Human Right, Oxford, 2007
- La dimension pluridisciplinaire de la responsabilité sociale de l’entreprise, Aix-Marseille, 2007
- Biotechnologies and International Human Rights, Oxford, 2007
- Biotechnology and International Law, Oxford, 2007