Networking Skills Workshop
"Hi, My Name Is..."
Pitching, Presenting, & Public Speaking
45 Rockefeller Plaza
Thursday, June 19, 2014
Workshop 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Networking Reception 8:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m.
Are you afraid to speak in a public professional setting?
Do you get tongue-tied?
Break out in sweat?
Can't sleep the night before because of the anxiety?
You will be glad to know you are not alone. Numerous studies reveal vast numbers of people fear public speaking even more than death. Psychology Today explained it this way in an article last fall:
"[A]t a primal level, the fear is so great because we are not merely afraid of being embarrassed, or judged. We are afraid of being rejected from the social group, ostracized and left to defend ourselves all on our own".
The good news is you can put together your own personalized bag of tricks to turn down the volume on the anxiety and turn up your confidence and effectiveness in any professional setting that requires you to introduce yourself, pitch an idea or give a presentation. In this workshop, you will learn some of those tools and walk away with a game plan for your next appearance.
Topics We Will Cover:
- The difference among a pitch, a presentation and a public speech
- How to pitch yourself in 60 seconds or less
- Strategies to prepare for presentations and public speaking
- A soup to nuts review of the components for a successful public appearance
Workshop: Please be prepared for a highly engaging event
- A short lecture on the art of public speaking
- Small group activities and role playing exercises facilitated by a lawyer, seasoned broadcaster, presenter, public speaker and connector
- Walk out the door with three tools and three goals for yourself
Adaora Udoji - Innovator & Entrepreneur
Adaora Udoji is an award-winning communicator who currently writes about, as well as, runs popular workshops on public speaking, networking and executive presence. She has served as Interim President of News Deeply, an award-winning impact media start-up focused on complex global issues. She's a journalist having reported and anchored for ABC News, CNN and public radio. A lawyer, she's also a global nomad having lived or worked in the U.S., Europe, Africa, the Middle East and Central Asia. She's a published writer who has been published on Medium.com, MSNBC.com, GlobalPost.com and CNN.com, among others.