Detailed Visiting Application Checklist
Visiting applicants must apply online through LSAC (www.lsac.org).
- Application Form
- Personal statement/essay regarding why the applicant is seeking to transfer to Columbia Law School.
- Minimum of two letters of recommendation from law professors.
- Dean's appraisal/Certification and a Letter from the Dean of the law school from which the applicant is transferring, or his or her delegate, characterizing the applicant's law school standing and his or her recommendation for transfer admission. The letter should include the following: (1) your law school’s approval for you to pursue studies as a visiting student, including the timeframe for which you have been given approval; (2) your current standing at your law school; (3) your projected graduation date; and (4) the minimum number of credits you will be required to complete and, if applicable, any specific coursework requirements that you would have to fulfill at Columbia Law School
- Dean’s appraisal(s)/Certification(s) from the Dean or administrative officer responsible for student affairs at any undergraduate, graduate, or professional institution(s) at which you matriculated toward a degree.
- CAS Report. All applicants must register for the Law School Credential Assembly Service (CAS) for us to access undergraduate and/or prior graduate degree transcripts. For more information about CAS, please call 215.968.1001 or visit www.lsac.org.
- Official transcript documenting all coursework undertaken at the applicant’s law school. Applicants may submit their current law school transcripts either through CAS or directly from their school's registrar's office. Candidates may also forward .pdf updates of their transcripts to the Office of Admissions as soon as they become available.
- If not paying the application fee online (strongly preferred), an Application Fee check ($85), payable to “Columbia University.”